Videoing

General chit chat and whatever doesn't belong someplace else.
wndblwn
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Videoing

Post#1 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:21 pm

I have a JVC Everio camcorder and was wondering the best way to mount it inside the car to video my runs down the Dragon ? :drive:

sureshot
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Re: Videoing

Post#2 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:57 am

If that camera is light enough for a suction cup mount, you can set it on the panel just in front of the trunk.

I had a camera in a similar location in a RX-7 in 2006.
Here is kind of what it would look like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1gJJNXhM5I
(I miss that car, but not the high maintenance.)
-Bill
-Bill, 91 flaker white with lots of Krylon overspray. 286,000 mile daily driver with a light flywheel and a short throw shifter. And a stereo that's loud enough to cover the buzzes, rattles, & clunks.

halmcgee
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#3 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:55 pm

Google Sticky Pod. They make a reasonably priced and very well made car mount. Or check out Adorama. They have professional units.

yoARKiV
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#4 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:05 am

I have a Sticky Pod Pro Pak, it's a GREAT camera mounting solution. They have several different packages available depending on how much flexibility you want. All of the on-board video in my Gap videos from last year was shot with a sticky pod. B&H Photo also has a good selection of vehicle camera mounts to choose from.
The MATG Beer Guy
Official "ARKiV's Gap Attack!" Website: http://yoarkiv.com/arkiv/GA/
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Photo Page
ARKiV's Gap Attack! Video Page
My Picasa Photo Gallery from MATG XVI

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#5 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:41 pm

Don't forget THP was issuing tickets if you have a video screen where you can see it in the car. Might check about that. See tail of the dragon.com's fight about it.
miatamike 92 Sunburst, 00SE, 04MSM

wndblwn
Crossroads of Time
Crossroads of Time

Post#6 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Yeah, I remember reading about that, I think the guy won his case. What a dirty way to try and make a little money.

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#7 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:05 pm

I use a sticky pod by the way. I have used inside the car, outside the car, works great.

bladernr
Admin
Admin

Post#8 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 pm

I just picked up a small very wide angle (160 degrees, IIRC) HD video camera on my last trip to Taipei. Little HD vehicle cameras are super popular over there now. I'm bringing it along with my Kodak ZX3 (if I can find the mount for that one)... though my videos are nowhere near as good as James' videos are... He's got quite a setup on his.

I saw someone a couple years ago too that had a multiple camera DVR mounted behind his seat with 4 or 5 small cameras positioned around the car... it was a pretty slick set up, but a lot more money than I want to spend on it...
"I drank what?" - Socrates

1991 SE British Racing Green
2007 Honda VTX1800C (Taming the Dragon with .2 extra Liters and 2 less wheels)

sureshot
Tabcat Bridge
Tabcat Bridge

Post#9 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:49 am

-Bill, 91 flaker white with lots of Krylon overspray. 286,000 mile daily driver with a light flywheel and a short throw shifter. And a stereo that's loud enough to cover the buzzes, rattles, & clunks.

michael mcdermott
Fontana Village
Fontana Village

Post#10 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:19 pm

Bill, whydon't you re post this on the 2012 site. It really is amazing how cheap cameras have gotten

bladernr
Admin
Admin

Post#11 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:25 pm

sureshot wrote:These cameras keep getting cheaper:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-Car-Dashboar ... 3719wt_872

BOOO! heh... that's about half what I paid for mine last summer in Taipei... the dash cam is decent in normal lighting conditions but it suffers from a slow aperture change when the light conditions change (e.g. coming around a corner into the sun), there can be a bit of wobble in the video at times, etc.

But for 30 bucks now, you can't beat what you get. Very wide angle video, records directly to micro SD and will record continuously in small chunks... Mine is set to generate 15 minute videos continuously and I can then take those and edit, blend or do whatever I want with them.

However, if you want quality in a small package, I haven't found one yet that beats the GoPro cameras (except for maybe a real DV camera).
"I drank what?" - Socrates

1991 SE British Racing Green
2007 Honda VTX1800C (Taming the Dragon with .2 extra Liters and 2 less wheels)

Return to “Off-Topic”